Monday, February 9, 2009

Pay Dirt: Retirement funds often below costs


Post By: Dana Sunderlin


What does it take for Minnesota's seniors to make ends meet? More money than many have.


Kim Oseira imagined a fun retirement spent going to movies, driving the grandkids and visiting her native Alaska. But today, the St. Paul 68-year-old rations gasoline, hasn't seen a movie for two years and hasn't been back to Alaska since her job ended.

"I'm worried right now about how I'm going to pay my electric bill," said Oseira, who lives on $1,100 a month from Social Security and a part-time job. "I try not to let [money] bother me, but it does."

Bonnie Watkins, executive director of the Minnesota Women's Consortium, hears such stories all the time. "These are the women that did what society told them, nice ladies like my mom," said Watkins. "The status of older women is really the most heartbreaking feminist story to me."


No comments:

Post a Comment